If your living in a tropical country like Philippines, then you may have noticed yet the boom in Frappe and ice drinks market. These instantly recognizable drinks, usually served in tall, clear cups with distinctive ‘bubble ls’ have taken the Philippines by storm and now appear in almost every coffee shops anywhere.
With its popularity driven and adopted by young adults in particular, they are now a drink of choice during the summer months and increasingly, all year round, no matter the climate.
Coffee shop, restaurants and food outlets both large and small will be looking at why they should offer frappes to their customers and there are more than just a few reasons to offer these hugely popular frappe drinks.
If you are considering taking the plunge but are not sure if Frappes are right for you and your business, here are some of the best reasons to give them a go:
- They are still popular and growing – Industry leaders indicate that the Frappe drink market size has doubled in the last 3 years. Research expert expects continued growth of 25% over the next four years alone.
- They can deliver tasty profits – Whilst the price per cup to produce will vary depending on what you put inside, you can expect to make a mark up of around 50% on every cup of Frappe you sell.
- They’ll boost sales during the summer months – It can be hard to find alternatives to hot coffee to offer customers during the summer months when all hot drink sales normally slow down. Adding a Coffee Frappe or two to your menu will ensure that all customers still have a reason to visit you, even during summer heat.
- Always popular during rest of the year! – A recent survey uncovered that 64% of consumers agree that they only purchase iced drinks in the summer and during hotter weather. However this indicates that more than a third of consumers choose Frappe drinks all year round no matter the weather.
- Simple and easy to produce –With a little practice and when in a routine, Frappe drinks are a quick and easy style of drink to produce. For those starting out and with less experience, starter kits are available and contain everything you need to start offering Frappes and iced drinks immediately. Your staff don’t need to be barista trained and with a little bit of help, baristas and staff can usually pick up the method after just one tutorial.
- You can be as creative as you like on its flavor – Generic Frappes consist of ice, milk and a neutral or vanilla base. You can then add syrups, sauces, espresso, toppings, cream and more to create your own recipes and spins on traditional Frappes and iced drinks. Many of the most popular Frappes such as those offered by large chains are adaptations and improvements on popular desserts, but once you get going, the sky’s the limit.
- You can change your offering regularly – The beauty of having a neutral base is that you can add whatever you like to change the recipe whenever you like and as much as you like, simply by changing a syrup flavour and the toppings. This gives you the ability to offer daily and weekly ‘specials’ which are sure to keep customer interested. What’s more is that these adaptations and evolution of drinks come with minimal cost changes.
- They can be enjoyed by people that don’t like ‘traditional coffees’ – Research has shown that with 28% of the vote, coffee Frappes are the most popular flavor out there. However there are so many flavors that don’t require coffee to be delicious. Some of our favorites are strawberries and cream, mango and peppermint. Furthermore, increasing the offering to those that don’t enjoy ‘traditional coffee’ will expand your business’ potential for attracting increasing numbers of new customers you otherwise would not have captured.
- They will help you drive takeaway sales – The very nature of Frappes means that people like to take them away and drink them in the sunshine (while it lasts) and with street food being more popular than ever, you will be on to a winning formula. Of course this doesn’t apply to absolutely everyone, but it does mean that it is likely that your frappe customers will pay similar prices to your seated customers without any of the associated occupancy costs and maybe even walking around town, cup in hand they will work to promote your business for you!
- You can produce lighter versions – It is true that some of the ‘dessert style’ Frappes have had some bad press of late owing to the amount of sugar that some contain. However it is quite possible to make lighter yet equally delicious frappes. With sugar free syrups available and skimmed or dairy alternative milks and low fat cream, you can experiment across the board to create healthier, ‘guilt-free’ versions of your favourite Frappes. However we would point out that Frappes are designed to be enjoyed as an occasional and not an everyday treat in moderation and as part of a healthy and balanced diet.